Tuesday 16 March 2010

Vintage Favourite Kits No 2 Airfix Matilda Tank


Keeping to the WW2 desert theme the Airfix Matilda Tank is this weeks 'classic kit'. Released in 1973 this was always one of my favourite Airfix tank models probably due to the slightly wacky desert camouflage scheme. I had to get this example off e bay for my collection as I wanted a 'period' blister pack example. It was released  later on in 2 different boxed examples, although of all the packaging Airfix has used over the years surely this was the best for 'series 1' you could see what you were 'in for'! Also the clear plastic was very useful for glazing vehicle & house windows!!


Currently this kit is available in the Airfix range as a Matilda 'Hedgehog' an adaptation of the standard tank with a 7 spigot 'hedgehog' naval mortar as was developed by the Australian Army. Not having a copy of this version not sure if you just leave the mortar off to create a standard Matilda no transfers are supplied for this though. See Henk of Hollands excellent website for more info and cybermodeller online for a useful review

6 comments:

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Yes it is a plug on special

Akin to the Calliope and Crocodile "new" models

Still nice for the variation

I am looking forward to the new sculpts when they come out

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

As in new kits later this year

Fraxinus said...

Mystifies me why they dont supply desert version decals as well?? 2 versions & charge extra £1....anyway someone must do decal sets like Skytrex did for 8th Army

legatus hedlius said...

I remember this one coming out for the first time!

My friends at school "Cess" Pitt and Bean Kid were very excited as they were the Eighth Army. My friend Brookbank and I were the Afrika Korps and so pitched a load of Tigers against them. Game over!

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

...and not only could you use the clear plastic for windows, but with careful use of a compass you could replace the propellers on your model airplanes...

I remember the Matilda with great affection - I had at least 3 or 4 - but the one I really remember was the Lee/Grant..

Al said...

A classic kit, pity they never did an early war A10