Friday 8 May 2009

Blenheim 1704 Article in Wargames Soldiers & Strategy




This magazine was not well produced to say the least in the last issue the translation/editing hopeless, but it appears to be back on track and featuring an article for all those currently afflicted with 'Tricornitus' on the Battle of Blenheim.

It features a game which has been 5 years in development and will be unveiled at the Warfare Show at Reading on the 21st/22nd November 2009. Matt Slade & Martin Holmes have been painting hundreds of figures guns etc to put this demonstration on in 28mm using a detailed order of Battle for Blenheim by Stuart Asquith and using a table size of 24X6ft.Figures used from Foundry, Front Rank and Old Glory. It looks excellent & I may have to make a trip to Reading in the autumn.

As usual the article continues with a page 'More about Blenheim' with further reading and a small review on miniatures ranges. The latter is missing a few 15mm ranges unfortunatly with no mention of Black Hat or Minifigs etc etc. Three rule sets are also reviewed.


Now painting has been non existant due largely to having hit a mental block of wanting to finish a unit!! Amazing actually wanting to finish something!!! & this is the way I want to continue!! however having put in an order to Minifigs over 21 days ago for just a few grenadiers (which I forgot I needed to complete the grenadier company of the Buffs) some Danes and a few pieces of artillery ...a small order in 15mm terms still nothing has arrived!! At the same time I ordered the New Copplestone Glory of the Sun Figures...wow within 3 working days they had arrived!! fantastic service Mark...and what fantastic 'sculps' highly recommended although most other bloggers already seem to be in possession. Mine may well be painted up for the Monmouth Rebellion.


Last weekend was the traditional 'sweeps festival' at Rochester where all the 'hanky wavers' congregate. Now I quite enjoy the Border Morris excentricities of hitting sticks & bizare garb where many a pheasant has lost its tail feathers...but Cotswold Morris in White with hankies makes me worried about old English Traditions!! But hey this is what I went in!! so who am I to judge!!!





This is the old 'Hooden Horse' from Hoath now resident in the Gate Inn Marshside,Chislet (A great local village pub & highly recommended for its ales!)We borrowed it to display at the festival and is over 110 years old having been made by Hazels Great Grandfather. The hooden horse was the main character in plays/performances that local waggoners used to put on moving from house to house before christmas time to raise some extra cash for the festivities like modern carol singing. There has been a revival in Mummers plays & Hoodening in recent years in Kent and a great tradition they are too.

While looking at Deadhorse Morris's web page I came across this song so back to the main title of this Blog entry!


Rochester Recruiting Sergeant

A recruiting sergeant came through the streets of Rochester
Bound for the wars in the low country
And he sang as he marched through the crowded streets of Rochester
Who'll be a soldier for Marlboro and me?
Who'll be a soldier? Who'll be a soldier?
Who'll be a soldier for Marlboro and me?
And he sang as he marched through the crowded streets of Rochester
Who'll be a soldier for Marlboro and me?
The Queen, she has ordered fresh troops for the continent
To strike one more blow at the enemy
And ig you would be a soldier, all in a scarlet uniform
Come be a solider for Marlboro and me
Come be a soldier for Marlboro and me?
Come be a soldier? Who'll be a soldier?
Come be a soldier for Marlboro and me?
And he sang as he marched through the crowded streets of Rochester
Come be a soldier for Marlboro and me?
"Not I," said the butcher, "nor I," said the baker
Most of the people with them did agree
To be paid with the powder and the rattle of the cannonball
Wages for soldiers for Marlboro and me
Wages for soldiers, Wages for soldiers
Wages for soldiers for Marlboro and me
And he sang as he marched through the crowded streets of Rochester
Wages for soldiers for Marlboro and me
"Now I," said the young man, "have oft endured the parish queue
There is no employment for the likes of me
Salvation or danger, they shall be my destiny
I'll take the Queen's shilling for Marlboro and me"
Take the Queen's shilling, take the Queen's shilling
I'll take the Queen's shilling for Marlboro and me
And he sang as he marched through the crowded streets of Rochester
Take the Queen's shilling for Marlboro and me
Now forty recruits came through the streets of Rochester
Bound for the wars in the low country
And they sang as they marched through the crowded streets of Rochester
Who'll be a soldier for Marlboro and me?
Who'll be a soldier, who'll be a soldier?
Who'll be a soldier for Marlboro and me?
And their ghosts may be heard through the crowded streets of Rochester,
Who'll be a soldier for Marlboro and me?

2 comments:

legatus hedlius said...

Oh No! Now I'll have to buy WSS. Grr! You are a bad person!

Fraxinus said...

'one all' then!! your Zulu wars blog & a showing of Zulu Dawn on BBC2 on saturday have resulted in a nasty attack of empress Miniatures ordering!!