Saturday 7 April 2018

A List of Current Wargaming Projects


So the usual long gap in posting! This time due to loosing my little book of passwords ! I couldn't log into the google account that I use to write this blog. Lesson learnt I hope. Well a lot ....and I mean a lot of purchasing has been going on in the past couple of years and as usual sadly little painting or modelling time. At what point does one just become a collector?  I have a friend who is now a regularish (school holiday's both in teaching profession) opponant and is a bad influence on the latest glitzy wargames trend. This has meant that I have dusted off old WW2 armies and bought loads more games and toys.


Above are some mortal remains of old WW2 stuff from 30 years ago, thankfully the Russians were in a better state of repair. 

This article is a useful theraputic aide memoire as i'm making more time to engage with my hobby and I definitly need to look at where I am at;

Team Yankee 15mm (Cold War) - British , West German, East German. An active project I am really enjoying I do love a Chieftain Tank! It also seems very close to home as it's a period from my history. Status: Collected all the army books building and painting British army first aiming to game by the summer school holiday.

Flames of War 15mm (Desert Campaign) - Not got into WW2 Western Theatre Flames at War as I have loads of 20mm models as I have for the desert campaign but the models and forces guides looked superb and attracted by starter boxed sets - British 8th Army & Italian Avanti. Status : recent acquisition yet to begin.

Saga - 28mm Dark Ages - Painted 10 saxons a couple of years ago never purchased the rules just the toys (Saxon & Viking) but have now obtained Saga 2 ruleset and Age of Vikings supplement . Status: looked at the pretty pictures and will paint some mini's to give a break from painting tanks!

Dead Mans Hand - Western Gunfight Game 28mm - Have rules and a few packs of Artizan/Wargames Foundry Cowboys . Status - Undercoated figures and painted flesh tones plus built half a westren town shop in MDF. Only needs 5 figures to get a game going !

Wings of War/Wings of Glory - 1/144th WW1 & 1/200th Scale WW2  aerial combat - Have rules and aircraft (prepainted yipeeee) and won my first game shooting the red baron down with my Spad

Tanks - World War 2 Tank Skirmish Game battlefront miniatures (they are getting a lot of my wages!) Status : bought a few tanks and ruleset simple game to learn, first game at Deal Wargaming Club hopefully soon.



Airfix Waterloo Project - Have collected plastic waterloo figures in 20mm for years, started painting some 'jocks' after stripping paint off them using Dettol. Status: Stalled project although still buying latest Napoleonic releases from various companies.

Belgian Army WW1 Project - What really started this blog still fascinated by Belgian involvement in the early years of The Great War. Status : Stalled although added some Hat 20mm figures of Infantry & Machine Gun Dog Carts recently.

Bolt Action 28mm WW2 - I am easily suckered into a good sales marketing approach and have amassed tanks and figures for all nations plus recently Farm Animals and a barn!Status:  yet to build anything.

Black Powder 28mm Napoleonic - see above! lovely figures regular sales at Warlord , large collection resulted of 1815 British and French. Status: plastic insulation currently!

Pike & Shotte - I refer you to Bolt Action & Black Powder!! Enough said!



Tumbling Dice 1/600 Aerial Combat - Starter set purchased of B17's and Me 262's etc should be easy to paint and get a game up and running. status yet to begin.

Naval Wargaming - WW2 1/3000 Navwar ships bought of e bay inspired by a visit to Chatham Wargames club. Painted the mighty HMS Hood and came to a halt undecided on rules but should be easy to get a game going quickly

World War 2 20mm projects - Interested in all nations and armies currently building Russian, German and Italian Tanks. Have purchased Italian and Japanese figures and armour recently. Status: always have something on the go in this area of the hobby as much from a modelling viewpoint as a wargaming one. Have played 1 hour wargame rules using 20mm tanks and figures in past couple of years.

Phew a scary list demonstrating a total lack of will or focus that some hobbyists have on one era or project at a time. The trouble is I have always been fascinated by all eras and genres of the hobby apart from one, Samurai games and figures which have never influenced me at all. On top of all this I am an aviation buff and collect and build aircraft models (as often as the wargaming ones!) and have a good and expanding collection of early Airfix boxed figures and playsets. I posted pictures of some of the 1/72 HO OO figures a few years ago but will add articles soon on playsets and buildings. how many of you have similar habits to the above list? how many sell before they buy?






8 comments:

Mel said...

Good to see you posting again. I think we need to get some sci-fi next. I know just the thing!

Matt said...

Welcome back! I am trying to be good and focus on one or two projects at a time but it’s not easy! Look forward to seeing your work once more.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

....I feel less guilty about the five weeks since my last post now... welcome back.. :o)

Anonymous said...

Better to have too much to stimulate our interest than too little, I say. And we all get distracted - of course! I've been focusing on WWI this year but now already been pulled back into the Napoleonic era again, with an early 20th Century figure now taking my attention...

I like the pic of your busy painting table with the essential pint glass in background!

Good to see you blogging again. Best wishes

Marvin

Al said...

Cool post... crack on :)

Fraxinus said...

Dear all I have had more comebacks than someone whose had a lot of comebacks! hopefully the blog can become more regular again as Al says above 'crack on'

Haze1 said...

Do you have plans to revisit your Wansum Wheelers blog? Especially now that you have a new bike

legatus hedlius said...

Just noticed you are back posting. An excellent set of projects to waste your time on for decades! I know the feeling exactly!